- Asphalt paving is durable, low maintenance, recyclable, has a smooth surface, can be repaired easily, and is affordable.
- Two main types of asphalt paving materials are hot-mix asphalt and cold-mix asphalt.
- Creating a strong base for your asphalt pavement is important. You need to excavate the area where you will install the pavement.
- You will need to compact the soil to create a solid foundation.
There is a lot of mystery and unknowns when it comes to paving. US revenue for asphalt paving, roofing, and manufacturing of saturated materials is projected to reach 26.3 billion US dollars by 2024.
Everything from preparing the surface to what kind of sealant or coating to use seems like a dark art form. But one area where there is some clarity is in the base layer.
This blog post looks at some best practices for creating the foundation for your new pavement. So, if you’re getting ready to pave your driveway or are just curious about how it works – read on! We’ll outline what goes into making a good base and why it’s so important.
How to Make an Asphalt Paving Plan?
When paving a driveway, sidewalk, or patio, it’s important to have a plan. This will ensure that the project is completed promptly and efficiently.
- The first step is to determine the desired layout. You can do this by sketching a rough design or using software to create a more detailed plan.
- Once the layout is finalized, it’s time to select the pavers. There are many different types of pavers available on the market, so it’s important to choose those that best suit the project.
- After the pavers have been selected, it’s time to prepare the area for installation. This includes removing any existing vegetation and grading the soil.
- Once the area is ready, you can install the pavers according to the chosen layout.
- Finally, you can fill any joints between the pavers with sand or mortar.
Creating a beautiful and functional paved surface is easy with a little planning and effort.
Benefits of Asphalt Pavement
1. Asphalt Pavement is Durable
One of the main benefits of asphalt is that it is extremely durable. Asphalt pavement can last for decades with proper maintenance, making it a cost-effective option for commercial and residential applications. Additionally, asphalt pavement can withstand various weather conditions and traffic loads. It’s an ideal choice for high-traffic areas and areas that experience extreme weather conditions.
2. It’s Low Maintenance
Another benefit of asphalt is that it requires very little maintenance. Once asphalt pavement is installed, it does not need to be resealed or repaired like other types of pavement, such as concrete. Additionally, you can clean asphalt pavement easily with just a broom and some water.
3. It’s Recyclable
It is also 100% recyclable, which makes it a very environmentally friendly option. When asphalt pavement reaches the end of its lifespan, the asphalt can be crushed and reused in new asphalt pavements. This recycling process helps reduce the amount of waste that goes into landfills and reduces the need for new materials to be used in paving projects.
4. It has a Smooth Surface
One of the most noticeable benefits of asphalt pavement is its smooth surface. Asphalt pavements are much smoother than concrete pavements, providing a more comfortable ride for drivers and pedestrians. Additionally, a smooth surface helps to reduce noise levels, which is beneficial for both residential and commercial applications.
5. It Can Be Repaired Easily
If damage does occur to asphalt pavement, it can be repaired quickly and easily. You can fill in small cracks and holes with new asphalt, and larger areas can be resurfaced with new asphalt. This repair process is much less disruptive than repairing other types of pavements, such as concrete, and can often be completed in just a few hours.
6. It’s Affordable
It is one of the most inexpensive paving options available today. Compared to other types of pavements, such as concrete or brick pavers, asphalt provides a much more cost-effective solution for commercial and residential applications.
The Different Types of Asphalt Paving Materials
Two main types of asphalt paving materials are hot-mix asphalt and cold-mix asphalt.
Hot mix asphalt is made by mixing aggregate, sand, and bitumen at high temperatures, then compacting it to form a solid surface.
Cold mix asphalt is made by mixing aggregate, sand, and a bitumen emulsion, a mixture of water and bitumen.
Both types of paving materials have their advantages and disadvantages.
Hot-mix asphalt is more durable and weather-resistant than cold-mix asphalt, making it the best choice for high-traffic areas. However, it is also more expensive to produce and lay down.
Cold mix asphalt is less durable than hot mix asphalt but is much cheaper to produce. It can be used in a wider range of temperature conditions than hot mix asphalt, making it the best choice for areas that experience extreme temperatures.
How To Create the Best Base for Your Project?
1. The first step in creating a strong base for your asphalt pavement is to excavate the area where you will install the pavement. This step requires you to remove loose soil, rocks, or other debris that could undermine the pavement’s strength.
2. Once the area has been excavated, you will need to compact the soil to create a solid foundation. There are a variety of methods that you can use to compact soil, such as tamping or rolling.
- The next step is installing a gravel layer over the compacted soil. The gravel layer’s thickness will depend on your project’s specific needs. Still, it is typically between 4 and 8 inches thick.
- After the gravel layer has been installed, you will need to install a layer of asphalt over top of it. The thickness of this layer will also depend on the specific needs of your project. Still, it is typically between 2 and 4 inches thick.
- Once the asphalt has been installed, you will need to compact it to create a strong bond between the asphalt and the underlying gravel layer. Again, there are a variety of methods that you can use to compact asphalt, such as tamping or rolling.
6. Finally, you will need to install a sealant layer over the top of the asphalt to protect it from weathering and wear.
Related: 7 Essentials For Your Fall Asphalt Maintenance Checklist
309 Paving Services Is the Asphalt Paving Company You Can Trust!
309 Paving Services has certified and licensed professionals in Bloomington with years of experience in the asphalt paving industry.
We understand what it takes to get the job done right, and we are insured, so you can rest assured knowing your pavement is in good hands.
Our team will work efficiently to complete your project on time and within budget. You won’t find a better value for your money anywhere else.