- Business owners can benefit from asphalt milling and overlay, which provides value beyond surface-level enhancements.
- The process comprises four steps: assessment, milling, base repair, and surface paving.
- Business owners should schedule a professional inspection to assess factors like foundation stability, the severity of the damage, and the type/amount of traffic received. That will help decide whether repairs are needed.
- Advantages include cost-effectiveness compared to traditional replacement methods, increased aesthetic appeal, durability, and easier maintenance.
- Prices vary depending on size but average between $2-$3 per square foot for driveways or $1 -$2 per square foot for parking lots up to 50k in size.
It’s easy to take for granted the asphalt pavement you drive daily. But like everything, regular maintenance and care are required for long-term health—and even an occasional freshening up to keep things looking smooth! That’s why business owners need to understand the unique benefits asphalt milling & overlay can provide to their parking lot or roadway. We handle everything from beautifying the environment to offering cost-effective solutions compared with traditional repair methods.
Read this blog by 309 Paving Services to learn more about how this helpful process provides value beyond surface-level enhancements.
Understanding The Process
The asphalt overlay process is composed of four straightforward steps.
An asphalt overlay is unsuitable when the existing pavement contains extensive damage (potholes, ruts, etc.) or cannot drain water properly. Instead, it is necessary to remove the original asphalt and begin anew.
Asphalt milling is essential to ensure that new asphalt adheres properly and remains level. Using a milling machine, the top layer of asphalt which has taken damage can be easily removed – typically between 1″ and 3″. Once ground down, the surface material is recycled for use elsewhere.
3. Base Repair
To guarantee a flawless asphalt surface with no imminent issues, the base of an asphalt area may need to be reconstructed if any damage, such as indentations or sinking, has happened. An aggregate-asphalt mixture is employed for this rebuilding process.
4. Surface Paving
After an assessment and any necessary base repairs have been conducted, it’s time to begin the asphalt overlay process. The thickness of this layer ranges from 1.5″ – 2″, depending on the current surface’s depth – so you can rest assured knowing that your pavement will be embedded with a strong foundation for years to come!
How Do I Know If an Overlay Is an Option?
Taking proactive measures to maintain your asphalt pavement can extend its life expectancy, but eventually, it will require further attention. As time passes, weather and traffic’s effects wear down its aesthetics and stability. By adhering to a regular maintenance regimen, you could expect your well-cared-for asphalt surface to last up to 20 years before needing an extensive restoration or replacement. Even then, you may still have another choice – opting for an alternative overlay solution that offers cost savings without compromising on quality performance results!
A professional inspection from an experienced contractor should be on top of your to-do list. That will help to ensure that your asphalt is in the best condition possible and determine the ideal option for your particular requirements. During this inspection, they will assess vital factors, including:
1. How Stable Is the Pavement Foundation?
Ah, yes- the condition of the underlying pavement is one of the most important factors regarding asphalt repairs. A full-depth reclamation may be necessary before beginning an overlay project if there are any signs of weakness, such as cracks, sunken areas, and displacement.
2. How Severe Is the Damage?
The extent and nature of any existing damage must also be considered- whether it’s potholes, alligator cracking, or even rutting – your contractor will help you decide which repair method best suits your needs.
3. What Type of Traffic Does This Area Receive?
The amount of vehicular & pedestrian traffic that your lot receives can also affect your decision on what asphalt repair method to use. Suppose your lot receives a large amount of traffic. In that case, an asphalt overlay may be the most beneficial option for long-term durability.
4. What Is the Budget Allocated for This Project?
It’s important to consider budget constraints when deciding which repair method to choose. Asphalt milling & overlay can be cost-effective if the damage is not too severe. It can also drastically reduce repair time and increase safety on your lot.
5. Has Oil Spilled on The Surface, And If So, Have These Stains Been Cleaned Up Properly?
Oil spills can cause serious damage to asphalt surfaces and must be addressed as soon as possible. If the spill has not been cleaned up properly, it can lead to further damage, such as cracking, potholes, or erosion. Asphalt milling & overlay is an effective way of addressing oil stains on your lot, as it involves removing any damaged areas before laying a new layer of asphalt over the entire surface.
What Are the Primary Benefits of a Mill and Overlay?
All right, now you know what an asphalt mill and overlay are. But why would you choose this method over other alternatives? Here are some of the primary advantages of going with a mill and overlay:
- Cost-effectiveness – Asphalt overlays are generally cheaper than full replacement projects, requiring less material and labor. Plus, if your lot isn’t in too bad shape, then you may be able to skip the milling step entirely, further reducing costs.
- Increased aesthetic appeal – A new layer of asphalt can beautify your lot and make it look more professional and inviting to customers or visitors. It can also help improve customer perception by making them feel like they’re entering a modern space that has been well-maintained.
- Increased durability – Overlaying existing asphalt can help protect your lot from moisture penetration and other damage that can deteriorate the material over time. The new asphalt layer will also be more resistant to cracking, potholes, and other common problems with an aging parking lot.
- Easier maintenance – Keeping up with regular maintenance on a mill and overlay is much simpler than having to replace the entire lot every few years. This means less hassle for you or your employees regarding upkeep and fewer materials costs down the road once the initial project has been completed.
If you’re considering an asphalt overlay, the price will depend on how extensive the work is and what area needs to be covered. Generally, larger areas have lower costs per square foot than smaller ones.
Suppose your project involves a driveway of average size (50k sq ft). In that case, it can cost anywhere between $2-$3/sqft with total expenses ranging from $2000 -$3800. For standard parking lots 50k in size, 1-2 inches thick overlays cost between $1.25-$1.70/square foot, respectively.
Let 309 Paving Services Help You Out
309 Paving Services serving Morton is dedicated to providing the area with the highest quality asphalt paving services. With more than fifteen years of experience in the asphalt paving and seal coating industry, 309 Paving Services is your go-to solution for all Illinois residents.
We strive to ensure that our customers are satisfied with our services and end product by offering a variety of asphalt installation, repair, striping, and seal coat options.
Whether you’re looking to have an entirely new parking lot constructed or need routine maintenance performed on your existing one—we’ve got it covered!
Let us give you a free estimate, so you’re informed and confident about your decision. Plus, we’ll be here to answer any questions about our services along the way!
Don’t delay – reach out to us today and start paving your path toward success!